Choosing the right web hosting service is a very important decision. If you’re running a successful website, you likely know the importance of web hosting. There are many hosting providers out there. And they all offer a different level of service. So how do you know which one is best for you?
The good news is that you have a few different options when it comes to web hosting providers.
Cheap vs. Affordable web hosting: Which one is the right one for you? Let’s find out.
It all boils down to what you mainly need the hosting for. If you’re a small blogger that just needs a domain and a simple blog, then you’ll likely be better off with a cheap hosting provider.
But if your site is anything more complex than that, and you need more domains and more storage space, then you’ll need to step up to a more expensive hosting service.
If you’re looking for a web hosting service, you may think that the most important factor to consider is cost. It is true that selecting a service based on price is appealing. However, if you make the decisions based solely on price, it’s risky.
What is cheap web hosting?
In general, cheap web hosting is offered by resellers or sometimes by companies that are formed solely to offer cheap hosting services. One of the most important things to remember is that these services are never as cheap as marketed. You will pay a bigger price in several ways if you choose a cheap service.
At a glance, paying less for a web hosting service can be very attractive. However, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Here are some of the common drawbacks related to cheap web hosting services:
- While the initial base price may be low, it will often increase significantly after the first few months or the following year.
- Adding additional services will be very expensive.
- Some of the essential features will be missing in the basic plan and you will need to purchase them separately at a higher price.
- Web hosting services offer very poor technical support. Some hosting services even charge additionally for tech support.
- Most cheap web hosting services don’t offer real-time customer support.
- You experience prolonged website downtime.
Choose affordable web hosting (instead of cheap)
When you compare the annual prices of affordable and cheap web hosting, the difference is often negligible. Companies that offer affordable web hosting services will include essential features in the package. For example, a package would include:
- Free plugins, such as CMS software
- Free web publishing software
- Security features
- Backup solutions
- Template-based website builder
- Excellent and reliable customer service
- Less than 1% downtime (the industry standard)
- Real-time tech support
In simplest terms, you should avoid cheap web hosting packages. The additional costs you will have to pay will be higher than expected. Instead, select a reasonably priced web hosting company that offers all the essential features under their packages. Remember – you get what you pay for.